Tuesday, March 3, 2009

Don't Think, Just Punch!

I wish I could think as matter-of-factly as some people do...mostly, Justin. He knows my struggles, in fact he shares many of them. I woke up this morning and truly felt blah. I wanted to cry or scream, I wasn't quite sure which. I feel so unmotivated these days. I know in my head that the reasonable way to take action is to put one foot in front of the other and move. In my moment of feeling sorry for myself, Justin quoted the wisdom of Rocky and told me "Don't think, just punch." His words seemed to click with me in a way I never expected. He reminded me that the fight was not going to go away...so I can either get up and fight back or basically get knocked out. I read his email (he is many miles and time zones away after all), and immediately something changed in me. I got off the couch...I put on my running shoes...and I set foot on the treadmill for the first time in too long. It was as simple as that. Not once did I think about stopping or getting off. In fact, I even fought an easy way out of it and decided to put myself first. As I was listening to my ipod, the song "Big Girls Don't Cry" by Fergie came on. Laughable, yes. But for some reason, I heard the words to the song in a different way...Maybe I'm completely stretching it here, but it worked for me so that's all that matters. It's about someone leaving someone or something in their life that isn't working for them...and although it may bring tears and pain...you know it's the right thing to do. It also talks about taking baby steps til you are full grown.

So here's to taking the first step of many in this journey...

Punching, xo

No comments:

Post a Comment